Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 6 February 2013

Get me off this bike

OMG what a horrible ride !!!.

Today was a BRICK starting with a 60min squad swim with the Tri Club, breaky at home followed by some procrastinating.  Eventually I got on the bike around 9am for a 4 hour ride, and then a 70min run.

Luckily the rain had begin to fade, however the wind was increasing but I had decided I would rather brave the wind than spend the next 4 hours on a wind trainer.  I headed out to the airstrip as instructed by coach, the plan is to ride 5-7 loops in the aero bars.  By the time I had finished lap 5 I could no longer use the bars due to the gusts.  At times I had to ride in the middle of the road so that when a gust hit I would have contingency room otherwise I would be in the ditch or down the cliff.  There was a lot of inappropriate language to vent my frustration I wanted to get off my bike and throw it into the head wind.

When I finally made it home I really didn't want to go for a run. But slipped into my shoes, downed a gel and headed out the door.  As tired and grumpy as I was the run went surprisingly well.  I even managed an extra run out to the point just to make sure I hit the 70 mins as per my program.

It was during the run that I finally felt I had earned the right to line up at the start of the ironman , and no matter what happens on the day I don't think I could be much more prepared.

1 comment:

  1. I worry about the wind and the trucks and the crazy drivers. I am so glad you are home in one piece. You will have these tough days and it will help to prepare you for whatever race days brings.

    ReplyDelete