Powered By Blogger

Monday 25 February 2013

Biggest Fear

You would think that after a few months of peak training I would be loving this tappering business, a maximum of one to two hours training per day, many days with no training at all.  But to be honest Im struggling, first I get a COLD, which has now turned to a chesty cough yay! and I feel like a lazy bum who should be doing more.  No one is getting sleep, but at least I can nod off during the day, poor Liza has to go to work.... a love you honey :) not long now.

This weekend the girls did the Coastal Challenge, 11k run from Milford along the beach and rocks down to Devonport.  I was support crew with little helpers, as I was hanging out with a mates three wonderful kids (2, 5 and 9).  Unfortunately I was a bit crap at the support role, especially since we were at Takapuna Beach waiting for everyone to run past when they called to say they had finished. Buggar!  OK so perhaps we had spent too long at the playground and then playing in the water .... but we had fun :)

My bike with CMs race wheels.
Camp Mother took on The Rev cycle race, and although she may not be happy with her result it was inspiring to me!. It proves that when the chips are down, including multiple wasp stings cos it got trapped down your top, GOODNESS!  a small tanty on the side of the road can do wonders! get you back on the bike and pushing on to the end.  Without doubt I will recall this courage when I too feel like doing a tanty on the side of the road, of which I expect there will likely be many. Thanks to the generosity of CM I have been able to upgrade my wheels, using elite wheels which are almost half the weight of my wheels and almost cost as much as my bike.  I have put on new tyres and new tubes, I hope this will prevent punctures on the day.  I will take the bike for a burn this avo, Im hoping this will make life easier on the ride section.

Two days before we head to Taupo on Wednesday, I get moments of 'total freak out' where I go silent and process internally, this almost sends Liza over the edge as she likes to talk about everything.  My biggest fear ... is despite all the preparation and all the support ..... come race day I wake to something that prevents me from starting or finishing i.e. illness, weather bomb, injury, equipment failure... something out of my control.  Liza has suggested talking about the what if I don't finish ... but to be honest I can't, should I not finish I will be devastated!!!

3 comments:

  1. Chris,

    Kellie here. I will be down at the race working in the Penalty Box 1 (first one if u hadn't guessed already) but then once the cycle course is closed I will coming back into town to work in transition. I hope to NOT see you in the 3min penalty box (just whizzing past) but the good news is the changes to the draft zone:
    "Confirmation that the 10 x 3 m draft zone is now published on the Ironman website. You can reassure any athletes you know that the only change is from 7m to 10m, and an increased time to pass of 20sec. No other changes to rules at all." So I will keep an eye out for you and I plan on seeing you at the finish line with a smile on your face! Just try and relax, enjoy the race/experience as you have worked so hard. This will be such an achievement in your life so well done. My mobile is 021 654580 so get my number in Liza and your phone. Remember: "Chris the CANTAB who can!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crikey I hope my wheels don't let you down. Now I'm not gonna sleep !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not mean to be a detractor - just want to be sure you have a plan B. you will rock on Saturday honey xxx

    ReplyDelete