Powered By Blogger

Saturday 26 May 2012

Ahh Saturday again

And that means BRICK. Well not quite for me today, a program change, swim 60min then forget the bike, instead strap on the shoes and head on a long run 2hrs. Swimming is sweet as we are still working on drills, and I have changed my stroke. Two things stick in my head:

1) front quadrant swimming, this is where you need your arms strateched out front to balance your legs so… a good stroke has the arms (at least one) out front the majority of the stroke, like catchup, but almost catchup. I noticed I had periods of no arms in the front and hence started to sink which caused a bobbing motion.

2) catching the water means high albows through the stroke and an early grab, previously I was dropping the elbow under water which meant I was swiping the water rather than getting a good pull.

For the run, I headed off road in central North Shore (still amazes me!), yes indeed there is a network of tracks where you can go off road in dense bush metres from peoples homes. The first 10min was a killer, for the next 20min I so.. wanted to stop, then 40min plus I was good and actually managed to knock up a 1hr 54min run. Going off road means you pay more attention to where you take a step, rather than clock watching.

Now feeling tired, and in desperate need of some good stretching!!.

2 comments:

  1. Liza
    May 26, 2012 7:39 am

    Well done for todays effort – a 2 hour run is no mean feat in itsel – but on the back of a 1 hour swim, well you never cease to amaze me. Its cool to hear that you are still learning new things even though you are a master swimmer already!! Remember to stretch honey!!! Lots of love xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachael
    May 26, 2012 9:03 am

    Hey Chris – good to see that the weeks training went to plan. Bet the week goes by so quickly and getting back to the weekend bricks after the busy week seems tiring at times. I admire your ability to keep it up with work and wife time thrown in as well!! You make swimming sound like a bit of an art form and good to see the training pays off in the learning stakes.

    ReplyDelete