Powered By Blogger

Saturday 17 March 2012

A Sleepless Night

It is after midnight and I should be tucked up in bed with by beautiful. But all I can think about is our wedding and the new 8 week training plan which starts tomorrow!. Now that I have updated six of the various wedding lists I thought I would give this blog thing a go. Although I have a recent degree in IT it seems I am no where near the propellor head as Liza, who has set this up so I have a record which we can share with the kids. Believe it or not this is my first blog and I don’t have a facebook page. PS Excuse the spelling mistakes, can’t find the spell checker.

Well the journey has begun, although I have yet to secure an entry, which is now my greatest fear!!!! Entries were to open on March 9th, however given the disaster of 2012 where the event was cancelled (I know, I will be inconsolable if that happens in 2013) entries for next year have been delayed until when ?? nobody knows ?. The entry fee of $850 is going to be my birthday present this year, so I have convinced Liza, a bit extravacant, normally $50 would be the limit so it might need to be several birthdays rolled into one.


When I tell folks Im going to do the Ironman next year most just nod, then Liza jumps in and tells them what an Ironman is (a mere 4k swim, followed by a 180k ride then a cool down with a 42k run, all before the 17 hour time cut off). Then they try to nod and smile but really they are thinking are you NUTS!, if fact some just come straight out and say it!. But those who are close to me know this has been a long time coming.


In 2011, I made the most of living in the north island and convinced Liza she should get up at 3am so we could drive down to Taupo so we could get there in time to see the start of the Ironman. I secretly promised a romantic night away in Taupo, I may have missed out the part about watching a race in the pouring rain for 17 hours oops. But with some coaxing and a new pair of tramping boots (a small price to pay) Liza stuck it out with me. However the following year (2012) I signed up for a volunteer role, at which point Liza wished me good luck and sent me on my way.


I can’t explain it, but there is something that draws me to the challenge. The elite athletes are OK but watching the average Jane giving it a go brings me to tears. In fact whilst in Taupo I cried most of the time, even watching it on TV or reading books triggers an emotion. I think the driver is because I can where as previously I couldn’t. When I completed the half Ironman in Nov 2010 at Lake Hood, in a mere 6 hrs and 45 mins, I knew anything is possible, and really its about getting your head in the right space. So its good I am a little head strong (apparently?) and a some what stubbin.


Anyway back to the start …. I dont have an entry, but I do have a coach and a mind which is set on giving it a bash, so bring on the Taupo Ironman, March 2nd, 2013.
Gosh I hope I get some sleep, and please may this rain stop before my first coaching run (outside!) tomorrow night.

1 comment:

  1. liza_chris
    March 20, 2012 7:22 am

    A sleepless night is a good thing – it shows your mind is waking up to the challenge ahead. And hey if nothing else you finished a few extra Angry Bird’s levels. Week one is the start of loads of good things. Your courage is also helping to motivate me back into action so that has to be a good thing. Stay strong, and enjoy the ride!! xx

    ReplyDelete