Powered By Blogger

Thursday 15 March 2012

Hello World





It is March 2012 and I have decided I am going to compete in the 2013 NZ Ironman!

My beautiful soon to be wife, Liza has setup a blog so that I may capture both the good and bad on my journey.  And when I get old, with poor memory I can one day look back and remember :)

This book is a 'blow by blow' from my blog written in the 12 months leading up to the NZ Ironman 2013.  Apologies for the grammar errors and the boring bits!  Each blog entry captures my thoughts and feelings on that day.

PREFACE

My journey actually commenced a few years ago when my awesome brother offered to coach me, for my first Half Ironman at Lakehood, Ashburton, South Island, New Zealand.  Completed in 6 hours and 50 minutes.  From this date a full Ironman was always in my back of mind.

After moving to Auckland in January 2012, I convinced Liza it would be a great idea to go watch the NZ Ironman in Taupo, a mere 3-4 hour drive from Auckland. When agreeing, she had no idea I wanted to be there for the race start which meant leaving Auckland at 3am, and she certainly was unaware that the race had a 17 hour window.  The weather was a shocker! rain, rain and more rain ... As a spectator I did not expect to have such an emotional response for the competitors slogging it out near the back of the pack.  In between floods of tears, I was cheering on total strangers.

In March 2012, I volunteered for NZ Ironman. I figured if I was going to one day compete it would be a great experience to see what goes on behind the scenes.  Liza had learn't her lesson, and was quick to wish me all the best, whilst she stayed in Auckland.  Unfortunately there was a weather bomb and hence the race was cancelled and an alternative half Ironman was scheduled for the Sunday.  All I could think, was thank goodness this wasn't my year, I would have been inconsolable like so many of the virgin Ironman competitors were.

In my return to Auckland I decided that 2013 was going to be my time ...


No comments:

Post a Comment