Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 21 March 2012

Getting Moving


It’s my birthday, a whole 38, and whilst I sit on the couch sipping my morning coffee I can feel the reminisce of a bike seat well wedged up my bottom. For some reason it merely brings a smile to my face as it means I have taken the next step and commenced the year long training raychem. Yesterday started with a 5.30 alarm, on with the togs and down to Takapuna Primary outdoor pool to meet my dedicated coach Sue who introduced me to the Tri club swim coach Pat. Lucky for me a packed swim lane meant a gentle swim with sets no longer than 100M, approx 2K in all. The shoulders and arms were feeling a little heavy but soon forgotten. You can tell this squad is part of a tri club rather than a swim club, for one, the only stroke attempted was freestyle, lets face it who is going to swim butterfly or breast stroke in a triathlon :) the other observation was that folks were more friendly than those in the swim club or perhaps they were just more willing to talk between sets.

Day one of training was a double whammy with a wind trainer class in the evening, hence the bike seat. It seems it must have been a while since I took out my sexy new carbon road bike for a spin. Only managed to stick it out for an hour before I started to feel my legs cramping. At which point I reminded myself ‘day one’, and ‘build up’. Two critical phrases whispered to me by Sue who waved good bye after once again taking time to meet me and introduce me to the various folks. At $20 per week, I so scored on the coaching front!
Did I mention I still don’t have an entry into next years race. Well as ironic as it gets it seems there may be an opportunity that entries open online today, funny! and if this is the case I will take it as a sign, if not then who cares about signs, just make up your dam mind and do it :)

1 comment:

  1. Liza
    March 22, 2012 1:27 am

    Well its good to see a concerted effort even on your birthday! Well done. Soon you will add some running into the mix and I suspect you may get a little tired. This blog is already providing insight into how you are feeling and I think its awesome that not only are you on the path of a major achievement, but you are being supported by people who understand what motivates you, and want to be a part of that journey with you. Just makes me love you all the more xx

    ReplyDelete