Powered By Blogger

Monday 29 October 2012

Liza's Day in the Sun!

The Artists, Caitlin (left) and Amelia
What a wonderful day (Sunday 28th Oct), light breeze, sun shinning, a great day for a 42k run ... after all the support Liza has given me and will give me, today was her day! The Auckland Marathon.

The alarm starts screaming at a crazy 4am, time for Liza to stuff down some breaky and begin preparations for her day ahead.  Apply the vaseline, blister plasters .... oh and bring me a coffee in bed as I try to steal another 20mins of sleep.  Drop Liza down at the birkenhead ferry at 4.50am, for her cruise to the start line at Devonport.

The Banner, "Go Aunty Liza!"
I raced off to put up the banner (which the girls made yesterday) somewhere on the last leg on the course.  Surely being so early, this would be easy ??? but NO race organizers already have the course layed out and roads closed off.  The short story, I had to drive long and far to get to the back of Mission Bay, then leave the car and go for a jog in the dark to find a suitable spot.


By the time I got back home, I had to through the bike on the back of the car and other essentials (like a first aid kit!, water and dinasour lollies) and head back down to the course.  Ditched the car down bottom on Onewa, and started to bike the route looking for my girl.  She was crusing down Lake Road at a good steady pace!  I met her again on Quay St, see photo, she was in a good space, nice and steady run.  I was able to ride on the cycle path all the way down to St Heliers and back, hence was able to provide text updates to her adoring fans :).  Around the 27k so hooked up with another racer and they managed to help get each other around the course, sweet!
At 24k and still running

A bit of a hard grind especially when she hit the normal 30k wall and had to revert to a bit of a walk, but as I say as long as you keep moving forward it is all good.  I skipped away for the final few ks to wait at the finish line, but seems she got a burst of speed as the announcer called her name as she crossed the line, I had to ditch the bike and run!.

A mere 6hours and 9mins :) and as some say you have a goal to bet next year hehe.  But for now, enjoy in the victory and finishers medal.  Well done my love xx


Yay the finisher medal!

2 comments:

  1. I can promise you that on the day after - it is still a feeling of never again! But boy was it good to finish it :) Thank you so much for all your support - I am positive this got me through the last 12 kms :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome poster and support must of helped no end :)
    Great stuff. Well done Liza.
    You'll now be thinking Ironman 2014 ...

    ReplyDelete