Powered By Blogger

Thursday 27 September 2012

Well oiled machine

So yesterday was running out of time to collect my bike which was getting a well deserved service.  I could see an opportunity to skip the 2 hour ride this morning, unfortrunately so could one of my support buddies, dam it!.  So they kindly collected by bike and we did an exchange later that evening.

Wouldn't you know it, I really enjoyed the ride this morning, you know some days (not often) you just feel strong.  I was even a little cheeky today and raced a few folks up a couple of hills (very small and short ones!).  I also tried to stay in touch on the downhills, got up to 60k on some of the short downs.  :) Don't tell Liza.

The bike is going like a dream, clearly in need of it's service!, although dangerous to go to the bike shop too often.  On Tuesday I had to drag Liza out before we ended up buying new tyres, which would have escalated to new wheels and then another cassette .... $$$$$.  Did you know that racing wheels on average are around $2,500 each, so $5,000 + tyres, tubes, cassette for back wheel.  To put it in perspective you can buy a very nice full carbon bike for $3,000 (thats an entire bike) Well Liza didn't know either until I pointed it out, she thought $2,500 covered the lot, which is bad enough in itself.

You know they do say the sport of Triathlon is becoming more popular with the older generation, thats because they are the only ones who can afford it! :)

Yay day off tomorrow, but don't worry I will be packing and readying myself for a huge weekend ride in the Coromandal as we test some hills and decide whether K2 race is something I could do .....


1 comment:

  1. Jeez - it was slightly wet toady too you know - do you need to go at breakneck speed downhill for training??!! And now of course the well oiled machine will whizz along as it is all sparkly clean and oiled again. As for wheels and tyres, I nearly had a heart attack when you told me how much these parts are. Trade me???!!!

    Anyway - we are looking forward to the weekend's training - I did throw my cycle gear in the car - not because I will join you on your 100km madness ride, but maybe I could ride out to meet you and come home with you all :) Depends if I have any energy after my run I guess!!!

    ReplyDelete