Powered By Blogger

Thursday 30 August 2012

Missed group ride this AM

It's Thursday and all I want to do is crawl into bed.  Not feeling 100% think Im coming down with a cold, the normal headache, achy body (maybe this could be from the weekend?) sore throat and ears ...... blah blah blah.  Had planned to call in sick but unfortunately it  just means I will have more work to do tomorrow and would need to cancel and reschedule a heap of meetings planned for this afternoon.

Bummed that I missed my ride group this morning, but ended up sleeping thru the alarm, expect because not feeling well.  Surprising since I do have more than one alarm set, which Liza appreciates every morning hehe.  So I have been privileged to attend a couple of group rides with the Quay St guys, hence thought I would share my early observations and a couple of tips/rules.....

Observations:
1. You would be amazed how many riders are on the roads at 6am or earlier
2. Groups are like tribes, with their own name i.e. Cafe St guys, Baker Boys ...
3. Riders have their own sign language, in short if they point or wave, move or you will hit something
4. Riders have their own sayings i.e. car up, car back, all on ....
5. At first other riders can be overwhelming but dont be scared off, everyone I met is very supportive
6. Find a group that suites your ability and your personality
7. Wear fluro if you need to, but keep it to a minimum
8. If you got reflectors on your bike, remove them immediately
9. Unless you are a PRO or riding in a team, stay away from the matching outfit i.e. poker dot outfit seen the other day
10. You get what you pay for


Rules:
1. Never half wheel anyone or use your brakes when in a bunch (my first lesson)
2. Always have enough cash for a coffee, as rides either start or end at a cafe
3.  "HTFU" 
4.  "HTFU"
5. In all cases "HTFU"


I will tell you more about half wheeling in a later installment.

1 comment:

  1. I continue to subscribe to the school of thought that my eyes do not need to be open before 6am in the morning!! Gee - I really love Chris' alarm on her watch!!(not!) But the ride group seems to have really sparked something in you - so good on you and enjoy and yes HTFU!!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete