Powered By Blogger

Sunday 26 August 2012

The showdown weekend

A couple of old nanas sitting on the couch oohing and ahhing everytime we move.  A busy weekend kicked off on Saturday with the normal brick session, although given the beautiful sunny day I could not bring myself to do wind trainer indoors so I skipped that and headed for a road ride after the swim.  No running today (bonus) due to the run race on Sunday.

Sunday, the big race! and some might say the rematch between Liza and myself.  Some background for those not in the know .... in our first ever event together, I was much fitter than Liza so ran and biked with her the whole way UNTIL we got within 10 metres of the finish line, when I went to grab her hand so we could pass the line together, Mrs got white line fever and gave me the stiff arm and then made a mad dash to the line and hence taking the win by millimetres.  So back to current ..... today was going to be the agreed rematch, and winner takes bragging rights and loser must be the others slave for one day.

GO LIZA!
What can I say ^&%#@!     I hope when I am slave, she takes it easy :(

So this is how it played out, a half marathon distance on the North Shore, so nothing is flat.  She took off at a steady pace along the beach with a short up hill, I took it slow as I know I need time to warm up the joints anyway I know I can kick ass on the uphills so was not worried.  Perhaps I should have remembered that if there is a hill there is normally a corresponding downhill and Liza long legs is turning into a gun on the downhill.

I suspect following a group the wrong way down north head, getting to a dead end, meaning we had to run back up the hill to find where we had missed the turn off didn't help the spirits, neither did getting passed by two walkers !  I was running, admittedly not fast but running all the same....

About 13k into the 21 - I was really starting to feel the pain, I have been getting sore hips in the last week, a recurrance of long hours of training and a misaligned body.  Some nights the ache can make me restless.  So I need to get back to the chiropractor and keep on stretching.  Anyhow in the past I would have pushed thru to finish the event, however now I know today was a training run and is NOT the end game.  So why risk injury ?  Hence I decided to DNF, limp back to the start/finish line and cheer on some mates and Liza.

For about 10sec at the end Liza was gutted, she thought I had past her and she had missed me.  She was tyring to work out how I got to the end before her.  To bad I cannot keep a straight face.:)

1 comment:

  1. I did have a moment where I thought - holy crap - did I miss Chris speeding past me - but then when I realised she was not walking so freely - I realised that troublesome hip had decided to play up again. Book a chiro visit Chris!!! (yes a wee nag!)
    It was great to be able to have a massage afterward too so thanks to Carron for organising this - and to Caryn for her hospitality, and everyone else for being so encouraging. It was a tough half marathon course for sure.
    A new week Chris - keep up the good work you have been putting in :) xxx

    ReplyDelete