Powered By Blogger

Thursday 7 March 2013

The Support Crew

From left CM (with the signs), Gusy and Nana (black top)
I had the best support crew by far!, this was confirmed when fellow competitors were trying to book them for next year!!  As I mentioned I had 4 people who wanted to meet me and shake my hand as they had seen so many signs for CANTAB Chris, apparently I was famous.  Even at the awards party, I mentioned to Sam (a fellow IM virgin from the Tri Club) that I was CANTAB Chris, before I knew it other people on the table were asking if I was CANTAB Chris and made comment on all the support I was getting :).

The journey has been awesome, not for one moment did I expect to meet new friends who would dedicate their time to train along side me, just cos they wanted too!, cheers to you Camp Mother, Gusy and Nana!  Other key folks include my Coach, Sue Dorman, whom I would recommend to anyone considering taking on a similar challenge! and Julie Dean my masseur, who was the only person to sort out problems I thought I had with my hips but turned out to be IT bands.  The body came thru perfectly!  And Bro (Nigel) without your words of wisdom and agreeing to coach me thru my first Half Ironman I never would have considered I would be capable to complete something this big.  You are my inspiration !!

Me and my beautiful wife, Liza!
But noone was more understanding and more supportive as my wife!! Although she had agreed before I signed up, I don't think she really had any idea how much it would impact on our early mornings and weekends for the next 12 months.  Our lives have been busy, we got married in April, Liza got a job promotion and I got a new project, we sold a house and brought a home.  All in between training and events! I thank you from the bottom of my heart and I love you to pieces xxx.  Although tempted I promise to keep such big events to a minimum :)  Oops crumpy wife just came to see why I had not come to bed yet (it is only 10.30pm), perhaps she will undertsand I had to write an important thank you when she reads this blog next ..... xxxx


Fi looking very enthusiastic
The support team has been extensive, I have meet folks who thought I was crazy, but everyone has been encouraging and supportive.  Many came to Taupo, including Mum and Dad who travelled from Christchurch.  Fi and Shane who came all the way from Melbourne, Jill from Wellington, and Claire, CM, Gusy and Nana from Auckland.  We also had a contingent around the world who were glued to facebook or the Ironman website waiting for every update.  Cricky Jo and Si even had a baby in celebration :)
Jill, Fi and CM

I would like to thank my sponsors!, CM for the use of your race wheels, Im sure this is why I managed to pull off a solid bike time.  CM for the use of your wetsuit, without it I would either have still been swimming due to the drag of my suit or covered in chaffing.  Jen for the use of your goggles, they did not leak at all! unlike my other ones.  Graham for your cycle top which I wore during the run, it was the only top I had with a full zip, without it the toliet stops on the run would have been rather tricky.


Team photographer No.1, Shano

Loving the hat Gusy!
The crew setup on the bike course
Thanks to all those who have been reading my blog and have joined me on this journey.  I love your comments so please keep them coming.  My plan is to print this blog in a book format which I can refer and share into the future. Perhaps one day it will get published, and help to inspire others! I mean, it proves if you want it, anyone can do anything.

Bethan's IM cake creation!


 
From left, Julie, Jill, Gusy, Liza, Me, Shano, Fi, Dad, Mum CM and Claire
And just when you think they can do no more .... one arrives home from Taupo to find the below message taped to their front gate.  Nice One ! xxxxxxxxxxxx

2 comments:

  1. You know we would do it all again in a heart beat. Watching you complete the journey, culminating in the fantastic finishing time you achieved, has been awe inspiring. We had so much fun being supporters, tho can we say - it really is quite tiring too - in its own way! So much fun planning and plotting the signs and how to execute it all. Well done Cantab Chris xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps - sorry for being a bit grumpy but I really missed you!!!!

    ReplyDelete