Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 6 March 2013

Race Day - the run



Leaving Transition
There was the support crew, I felt like a super star with all the cameras.  Shano was running ahead then turning to get some shots, I wasn’t about to give him a break so made sure I kept running, although I did slow down every now and then.

First turn round the large Nutri-Grain packet, and on with the first the run lap arm band.  They had different coloured arm bands representing each lap, same applied for the bike leg.  In the run it was white for lap 1, then blue and then orange for the final 3rd lap.  Bring on the orange band!!

My initial race plan was to run as much of lap 1 as possible, walk/run the next lap then do whatever it took to get round the final lap.  The race rules stated crawling was allowed, so I would resort to this if needed.  With the race plan in mind I held a steady run for the first 3k, then I remembered one time after I had ridden Kopu Hill with Gusy and CM, I had to run off the bike and I really didn’t want too.  I ended up negotiating with Gusy to run two lamp posts and walk one, this seemed to work.  I didn’t notice the lamp posts but there were lots of cones so opted for walk 2 cones run 10 cones.  When I ran I made sure I held my technique of standing straight, shoulders back, open chest, head steady, eyes up and quick feet.  I had both Gusy and coach in my head repeating these instructions.

Looking good
Despite further instructions from coach who was stalking me on her bike, which at the time I heard but didn’t engage.  I stuck with my plan 10 and 2 and walk up hills, run down hills.  It was pretty warm on the track, I suspect 25-29 degrees with a hot wind.  Thank goodness coach had me training in the afternoon Auckland heat for this very reason.  Apart from hot feet the heat didn’t really bother me.  At every station I tipped a water down my front and another down my back, down half a tube of gel followed by a water.  The run belt was a pain in the ass as it kept slipping down and I had to keep pulling it up.  Coach kept yelling for me to ditch it, so I did at the end of the first lap, but I did it legally at the assigned drop zone.

I was doing well on the run, no cramps, no sore tummy.  I did have to pee at the portaloo on each of the first two laps, so I knew I could slow down on my fluid intake.  I ran out of gel mid-way which was a good job as not sure how much more I could stomach.  From then on I resorted to iced flat coke only, not normally a treat, but today it was heaven.  On several occasions I tipped a water down my front which had ice in it, that caught me by surprise the first time, but it was so hot that within minutes I had recovered from the icy cold shock.  I took advantage of every garden hose although some folks had it coming out like a fire hose.

The support crew were fantastic and had setup camp outside our holiday rental, which just happened to be on the run course, what a score.  We had no idea when we booked it!.   More signs and screaming support with lots of high 5s and hugs when I passed by.  Unfortunately it was at the top of an incline so of course I was always walking, but as it was part of my strategy I didn’t care.  One time round I had just past the house and a fellow competitor came up from behind, he run to catch-up.  He had asked if I was the famous CANTAB Chris, of course at this time I didn’t know I was famous ??  Anyway he wanted to shake my hand and said I had the best support crew out there.  I already knew this !!!  Anyway I had 3 other people who did the same, wanted to shake the hand of the famous CANTAB Chris.  Well blow me down!

Still running
During the second lap I felt the blisters on the big toes of both feet, buggar!.  Unfortunately it mean’t I had to walk for a bit, but I knew “special needs” was not too far ahead and I had some blister plasters.  The special needs tent was located on the corner of a run loop, I tried to access from one side but was told to run a full loop first.  By the time I got back they had my bag ready to go and seat.  I whipped off the stinky shoes and started applying the blister plasters, of course my feet were sweaty so they didn’t stick that well, but it would do for now.  I gave the kids my stash of jelly beans and potato chips, they seemed very excited.  I knew I was off solid food.


I managed to get back to running 2 and 10.  The support crew were awesome, riding bikes round the course yelling encouragement and Gusy practically ran a marathon as she ran on the other side of the road.  The cheeky thing however stopped at a shop to buy an ice block, then skipped in front of me to place the wrapper in the bin, quietly letting me know how delightful it was.  What a cheek eh!

Come to the end of the second lap my attempts to apply the blister plaster was not working so I took advantage of the medical services at the station on the main drag.  They applied strapping to the left foot, this at least stopped them rubbing together.  Yay back to running again and on with the final orange band, sweet!!.  And still no cramps or other issues.
The run didn’t feel like a marathon, in that I wasn’t thinking 42k, I was thinking 3 laps.  This seemed to make a huge difference, I was surprised when I was still doing my run 10, walk 2 at the 30k mark.  Midway down the final leg out, coach ditched her bike (in the middle of the track for the returning runners I might say) she gave me a massive hug and told me I would be an Ironman in a few hours.  I didn’t realize at the time she had a few tears and text Liza to say she was sending me their way.  She needed to get home to the family so would not see me at the finish.

The final leg, as I past the supporters house I stopped momentarily to give everyone there a hug, especially mum, dad and the wife.  Liza jumped on the bike, she had already told everyone she was taking the final leg to the finish.  The stations were well stocked including flat coke, carbo drink, water, chips, pretzels, chocolate bars, barley sugars, power bars, bananas and oranges and including fluro sticks, and since it was starting to get dark, approx. 8.30pm.  If you were handed a stick you had to wear it, race rules.
The support for the run was awesome, many local residents setup camp outside their homes, many had their stereo pumping, although one group had crap songs like “Lady in Red” which were not so inspiring.  But everyone got a cheer, and when they saw you were on your last lap you got an extra cheer. 
4k to go … I told Liza to get a move on to the finish line as I had planned to run the final few ks.  As I hit the main street I picked up the run and took in the cheers.  Your name is on your race number so of course everyone is calling out Chris, at first I kept looking to see if it was someone I knew, but soon gave up on this.  But I did notice a few people in the crowd, including someone I had worked with a long time ago, someone who had seen me when I weighed 157kg.  I think they were a bit surprised to see me on the track, I was surprised they recognised me.

The Moment!, You are an IRONMAN!!


As I hit the red carpet I was keeping an eye out for the crew.  I had thought long and hard on how I would approach the red carpet, I thought I would walk, take my time and give everyone high 5s.  It turned out I had running fever as I spotted the crew I high 5ed a heap of hands and then I kept running for that finish gantry, it read 14 hours, 6mins and 59 seconds. (14:06:59).  As I was about to shed a tear or two, someone put a medal round my neck, thru a towel round my shoulders and I had a catcher either side holding me up.  No time for tears as someone removed my timing chip and I was whisked away for post-race weigh in.  Pre race was 78.8, post race was 78.0, awesome work on maintaining the fluids.  I was quickly released from medical to collect my finisher t-shirt.  I was also handed the race bag I had thrown in the truck at the beginning of the day.

The recovery tent is an interesting place, as you walk in  the medical section with folks sitting around holding arms and legs awaiting for the medics to do their rounds, then a small drinks station, t-shirt pickup then it opens out to an area with chairs and a table of hot and cold food.  At the far end are the massage tables and a seated queue.  I took a look at the food, they had muffins, sweets, tomato soup and rolls, and other hot options.  But nothing appealed and I was feeling good, just tired the only real pain were the blisters on my left foot, and a massage wasn’t going to fix that.  So I high tailed it out the tent and went to find my family and friends.

Liza, Me, Dad and Mum
I suspect they were not expecting me so soon as they took a while to find.  Liza and dad had been back earlier in the day to collect my bike and transition bags, they had a ticket I had given them which contained my race number, it meant I couldn’t score a better bike but it also meant no one could steal mine.  Lots of hugs, kisses and photos.  To be honest I know I had crossed the line, I know I was an Ironman, apparently Mike O’Reilly had said so, but I didn’t remember hearing him.  But it just didn’t feel real and even now it still doesn’t feel real.  I need to keep looking at the pictures.

Someone had said that after you finish you will be on such a high you will want to go clubbing, well not me!. I was happy to have a quiet ride home with Liza, enjoying the heated seats of the beemer J.  The crew were meeting us there.   I managed to crawl from the car, it appeared long periods of no movement was not good.  I was as stiff as a plank and smelt very potent so was quickly rushed into the shower.  It was here I picked up on the chaffing between the legs and under the boobs.  Im sure everyone heard the squeals !!.  Thank goodness I could not feel these during the race.

Loving the Lazy Boy Chair and the Beer
Dried and dressed I found the lazy boy chair and a beer! What heaven.  The girls brought Pizza and chips, I slowly nibbled on a couple of pieces, cautious that the stomach hadn’t seen real food since 4am that morning.  I managed to join a few of our supporters outside to cheer on the last few as they came on by, including tail end charley Jenny or Ginny (not sure of spelling) we heard the next day she had 60sec remaining to make it down the red carpet and thru the finish gantry, despite a mis-step she finished in 16:59:39, WOW 20sec before the cut off!.  And in Ironman she had more cheers and was more famous that the person who won the race 8 hours earlier.  I love it!

1 comment:

  1. So amazing how you pulled the run together - you have been so composed all day and this was no exception. (Did I mention that Claire's bike seat was not that comfy!!!). What an amazing day and you SMASHED it honey - well done and loads of love xxx

    ReplyDelete