Powered By Blogger

Sunday 2 December 2012

One week out ...

Only one week until I attempt the second half ironman I have ever done.  This time round it will not be so emotional as everyone knows your first time is special.  Taupo Half Ironman will be a mere training run in preparation for March, that's the story I'm telling anyway :)

My training for this event has been very different to last time, I'm obviously no where as run fit as I was last time, and for sure this is going to hurt on Saturday. I'm hoping my calf will hang in there for 21k since I have not been able to run on it for more than 30min over the last 3 weeks.  The interesting disciplines will be the swim and bike.  Previously all swimming was pool based with only the odd open water swim, this time round I spend more time in the ocean and in my wetsuit.  As for biking, I used to ride flat solo 40 to 60k rides, now I bunch ride, do hills and have comfortably completed the 160k round taupo.

So  here is my strategy, steady swim get into my rhythm.  Try for a quick transition onto the bike (yeah right!) then another good and steady 90k, I'm hoping at this stage that I will still be able to hold off Mrs J and and team Tigger. Then fully expect within the first 10min of the run I will be overtaken and will have a long hard run to the finish line.  All the time thinking double the distance next time .... Crazy!

3 comments:

  1. Chris You will nail everyone on the swim, so take that victory before you even start :)

    As for the ride - I think you will surprise yourself with how good you've become. I think you're a lot fitter/stronger than some others are at the mo - especially over the longer distance. But remember to pace yourself.

    As for the run - play the injury card if they overtake you !!! I'll splash tomato sauce on you to authenticate it on the day

    Go well !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are definitely as fit as last time, but in a different way. You know the swim is sweet, the bike will be fun, the pain is the run, but slow and steady wins the race - you have done the distance before, you know you can do it again. Go hard and keep all the rest of us on our toes !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't lose sight of the forest for the trees. Getting to the start line in March injury free is really important, actually it is really really important. Look after your calf

    ReplyDelete