Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 4 December 2012

Bike Fit Ready :)

Check out the Aero Bars
Now that Round Taupo is done and the Taupo Half Ironman is only fours days away, I thought I better get my butt into gear and have a 'bike fit' to move from the standard road ride position to the aero bars.

This will be the second time I have ever had a bike fit, one when I first brought my new bike and now.  Previously I have been using my sister inlaws bike and my brother had simply adjusted the seat etc... until it looked about right. How far I have come ....

For those not in the know, a bike fit is a bit like running on the treadmill at the shoe shop, everyone gets to watch, as you get yourself into a bit of a state (all sticky and sweaty)and at the end the shoes, or in this case the bike should fit.

Now I wasn't about to part money for just any Joe to do the fit, after all I could always give my brother a call.  So I rang the local bike shop, frequented by Camp Mother.  Spoke with some guy called Tim, my final comment being, "so what makes you so qualified to charge me an arm and a leg?".  Well, I would soon regret asking such a lame question.  Perhaps you should google him, Tim Gudsell, like I did. I stopped reading after 15 hits stating double Olympian, former Pro Tour Racer ... anyway you get the picture.  Dick of the Day award for me!

He was lovely and I would recommend him to anyone.  We ditched the $500 carbon aero bars the wifee had brought at some online deal for a cheap $150 pair, you will likely see these on Trade Me in the next few days. :) With broad shoulders I needed bars that had some lift and could span wider at the elbows.  With a bit of a tweek here and there I think we got it sorted, he even added a pad to the insole of my shoes to help spread the nerves when I applied pressure.  We are hoping this will deal to the pins and needles and numb feet.

Bring on the ride in Taupo ....

No comments:

Post a Comment